Saturday, March 12, 2011

Week 3

Several times throughout the various videos, I heard statements from parents and teachers indicating to get out of the student’s way and let them learn (Edutopia, nd, np). I believe if we give students basic information, guidance and the right tools, they will in fact learn on their own. If teachers will stop shying away from group collaboration due to fear of cheating, students will typically far exceed your expectations. As a student myself I start out preferring to not work in a group; however by the end of the assignment I typically have learned so much more than I would have on my own. So be prepared to learn something new yourself through your students’ assignments.

As a result of the readings and videos, I opted not to give one basic assignment. Instead I gave the students several options that will allow them to choose how they would like to complete the assignment. Giving the students a variety of means allows them to find the style that best matches their learning style and allows them to take the project a step farther. The student with visual disabilities and the students who learn more in an auditory fashion may opt for the podcast assignment. The student with the hearing disability and the students who are more visual learners may choose the blogging or diary option. Interest also makes as,o I am attempting to show the students how something that seems a million miles away could actually affect them.

Sources:
Edutopia.org (nd). Digital Youth Portrait – Luis. Retrieved March 12, 2011 from http://www.edutopia.org/digital-generation-profile-luis-video.

Edutopia.org (nd). Digital Youth Portrait – Cameron. RetrievedMarch 12, 2011 from http://www.edutopia.org/digital-generation-profile-cameron-video

No comments:

Post a Comment