Sunday, March 13, 2011

Week 3 UDL Lesson Builder

This week we were tasked with creating a Universal Design for Learning (UDL) lesson using the CAST Lesson Builder. This lesson was a challenge as the lesson plan format was significantly different from what I am accustomed to utilizing. In my job as a Human Resources Manager for a criminal justice system, we use the National Institute of Corrections (NIC) lesson plan format. This keeps our format consistent throughout our agency and the various staff development departments.

After reviewing the UDL format, I was a bit confused but managed to slowly work my way through the format. I found that school lesson plans are not as detailed in some ways and more detailed in other from the business lesson plans I write. First, NIC formatting includes a word for word lesson plan that is scripted. This ensures that all trainers cover the same material and our trainings are legally defendable. The UDL format includes an overview but not a script. This was difficult for me as I continually had to revise the information and summarize. On the other hand, UDL's detail is on teaching and learning styles. UDL ensures that a variety of formats are presented and encompasses as many learning styles and disabilities as possible. Both lesson plan styles encouraged repetition to increase learning understanding and retention.

For my UDL lesson plan, I chose to create an 8th grade English Research/Personal Narrative assignment on the recent Tsunami in Japan as the topic. This tied in with my group's topic as well as recent events. I had a bonus with this assignment as it opened conversation with my high school aged son and what he is doing at school in relation to the Tsunami.

lesson plan

No comments:

Post a Comment